Moving to Barcelona – Social Security Number

So the next thing you might need is your Social Security Number, at least if you want to work or receive other benefits like your Health Insurance Card.

It is actually much easier to get this, at least if you are the one who is working. If you want to add your wife/husband and/or child to your social security account, then you will basically need all the documents you needed for the NIE.

Why do would you want to get your wife/husband/child/children added to your account as a beneficiary? Because otherwise they won’t get their own Health Insurance Card (targeta sanitària individual or TSI).

So how do you get your Social Security Number?

Continue reading “Moving to Barcelona – Social Security Number”

Moving to Barcelona – NIE

Getting the NIE or Número de Identificación de Extranjero is probably one of the first things you will do. At least if you are planning to actually move to Barcelona and planning to stay for more than 3 month.

Me and my family are from Germany so I will describe what you will probably need as a EU citizen, since that’s what we went through.

The NIE is basically needed as a foreigner to work, pay taxes, receive benefits or do anything with contracts, you will even get asked for your NIE when you receive a parcel. It is basically your identification number in Spain where Spanish nationals have the corresponding NIF.

If you want to stay longer than 6 month, you have to have one.

There are three different kinds you can have, just the NIE number for when you are planning to stay up to 3 month, the NIE card for long-term like actually living and working here or after 5 years the residency.

I will describe what I had to do get the NIE card for me, my wife and son. Hopefully all that information is still valid, but don’t take it for granted.

Continue reading “Moving to Barcelona – NIE”